Friday, September 4, 2009

'Brain Candy' - 4.9.09

Well Ear Candy hasn't been really on the agenda this week. Like the good little student I am, I've been trying to tackle my reading list before I get back to college and actually have an excuse to say 'Ah sure feck it I'll just go to Sparknotes''
Anyway tried to get into Jane Eyre yesterday and it was almost impossible. Jane Eyre is my favourite of all the publications from the Bronte siblings but my god books are hard to read when you know you have to get through them.

I found the same problem with The Great Gatsby last year. Gatsby is a classic. I read that book every Christmas without fail, don't ask me why, I'm just odd like that. Last year when I saw it on the reading list for semester two I was initially thrilled. Finally I would have an excuse for sitting by the fire reading for twelve hours straight but, could I get into it? No, because I knew I had to.
Maybe it is some mental complex that some psychologist will tell me in years to come is the reason for my general weirdness, perhaps it's because deep down I'm a free spirit who cannot be told - a rebel without a cause if you will. But, most likely it's just down to the fact that reading isn't fun when you know that, once you finish the book there is not some deep sense of accomplisment or the prospect of a different outlook on this world, oh no, all that is waiting for you when you turn that final page is a five thousand word essay. No wonder I'm in no rush to finish.

And so I give you my Brain Candy - Books you must read before reading lists ruin them for you.
1) The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
2) Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
3) Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
4) The Scarlett Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne
5) The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
6) The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
7) Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
8) Ulysses - James Joyce
9) The Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
10) Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert


A little bit of listenin' - Glasvegas, Fleet Foxes and Passion Pit


A little bit of lustin' -
I need a bag for college and I think Roberto and I would be a perfect match don't you?
Ok yeah in all seriousness someone tell me how to block net a porter because I'm only taunting myself at this rate!
Roberto Cavalli @ net a porter

No comments:

Post a Comment